Thursday, August 24, 2006

I met Ronnie Corbett!

I did, you know.

Right, here I am in Lewis - I've been here for a day. On the advice of my mother, I do not describe it as a God-forsaken marsh.

So far, Lewis is rather nice, actually - it is very flat in comparison to Sheffield, has loads of cars, few people and really big houses with lots of land. The roads are long and flanked by rather under-developed farm / moorland and there are loads of Protestant Churches. It is, in fact, a lot like America.

Mum & Dad's house = v. nice and they have a lovely garden (backing onto said "moorland with drainage issues") which is full of chickens and vegetables.

Getting here was not a problem at all - I got on the train, then on the plane, and that was that.

How did I meet Ronnie Corbett? Well - it's not a long story, but it is quite cool.



(In case you don't know who he is!)

I was walking along in the airport, when I saw a man who looked a lot like him queueing. I looked again, and it was him! So, I went up and said "Mr Corbett?" and he said "Yes." And so I told him he had been a great entertainment for years, and I thanked him.

He seemed like a nice fellow (not immediately laughing etc. - but I guess that such things are an act for the camera) and he wasn't stand-offish or anything. He was quite friendly. Of course, one does not want to go up to him and say "Hey, Ronnie! 'I look down on him'!" and annoy him with that sort of thing. So, I was nice and polite and respectful.

Today, the plan is to see the Island while Dad is as work. Mum and I are going to "do the town".

And everything here is in Gaelic - the street signs are in both English and another language. It is very like America - ¿dónde están los haggis?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home