Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Subtle, Moi?

Yes, well, some people call it being unsubtle. I call it being honest . . .

There is a pervasive sense that the truth is a dangerous commodity in it's pure form; it's kind of like nuclear power - useful when someone else handles it and you don't want to get any on you.

Never mind.

As Liza says, things are going swimmingly - as swimmingly as they can. We are organising the details of the wedding and so forth; right about now people should be receiving the save the date cards.

Don't get me started on them - just don't. Apparently, you can't invite people to the wedding yet, but they might organise something else on that date unless they save it. So we send out "save the date" cards - which, for very strict reasons Emily Post understands, are not invitations.

I'm therefore not sure what the save the date card signifies - does it mean you are invited? I assume so, but . . . why not just send invites in that case?

Is this so we can perform some sort of damage limitation? Viz;

"Hey, save the date!"

"I'm sorry, I'm busy that day."

"Well, stuff you then, hippy - we weren't going to invite you anyway!"

I'm not sure. As far as I am aware receiving a save the date card is exactly like receiving an invitation, only you are not invited yet.

I am not even sure if you do not save the date you will not be invited. I am not sure if the system can handle, however, you not saving the date and yet still accepting the invitation. I believe that may create a temporal feedback loop which could tear the ship apart.

I plan to try flushing the Busard Ramscoops and reversing the polarity, despite Montgommery Scott telling me that, apparently, I cannae change the laws of physics.

Speaking of 'Trek references, perhaps this is actually akin to saving the whales? Did you know that we loose one date every 24 hours? Shocking! It will take us another Messiah to get another 22nd April 2006 - not to mention 2006 years (or 2010 if you are some Mediaeval chap with an inability to count).

So, to summarise; we are asking people to save the date. This is - for reasons which are unclear - not an invitation, as you cannot - apparently - invite people 8 months prior.

You can, however, get them to save the date and keep it free from all other things. So we are.

My head hurts. I am going to reply to my save the date card in the negative; I am busy that day.

I am getting married.

Darknight

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon,your comments just put such a smile on my face that it's amazing. Sitting here grinning at the computer like the Cheshire cat all by myself at 1:00am. Too funny. Mom-Lin

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home